Protect your business from malware and minimise risk with these great business antivirus apps.
For businesses in the digital economy, network security is largely about endpoints – the devices, programs, and processes at the enterprise’s perimeter, where the corporate network meets the public internet and the world at large.
At the heart of a robust cyber-defence system, there’s traditionally been a suite of software and related tools dedicated to combating the effects of malicious software, or malware.
Though computer viruses were historically their focus, modern antivirus solutions have had to evolve in response to new attack methods and new breeds of malware such as spyware, ransomware, and crypto-jacking software (the kind that hijacks your system resources and uses them to mine for cryptocurrency).
With the evolution of new working practices involving flexible hours and remote, home-based, mobile employees, business antivirus solutions have also had to adapt. Antivirus deployments in today’s market must be able to extend beyond the data centre and office desktop to include smartphones, tablets, wearable hardware, and a range of wireless and locally hard-wired connections.
Since a single business user may at any point be required to skip from console to laptop to smartphone, antivirus subscriptions must also be flexible enough, to allow for this.
In this article, we’ll be looking at three of the best business antivirus software applications – all of which are available to download right here at FileHippo.
1. Avast Business Antivirus Pro
The winner of five Advanced+ awards for lowest impact on PC performance, and awarded for the highest quality anti-malware products aimed at small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), Avast Software’s Avast Business Antivirus Pro also claims 100% certified protection against zero-day threats – attack techniques and malware that exploit vulnerabilities which are unknown at a given time. Its user base currently includes over 700,000 businesses.
For the PC, Avast Business Antivirus Pro runs on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, or XP SP3 (32- and 64-bit versions, except for the Starter and RT editions). For Mac users, the minimum specification is macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) or later, with at least 500 MB of hard disk space. Your hardware needs to have at least an Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 64 CPU supporting SSE2 instructions, 256 MB+ RAM, and 2 GB of hard disk space.
Boasting the world’s largest threat detection network with 400 million endpoints, Avast Business Antivirus Pro uses a unique set of detection algorithms to perform highly accelerated analyses of unknown files in the cloud. This greatly reduces the computing burden on the subscriber’s own systems, and minimises the disruption of vital business operations.
Avast Business Antivirus Pro offers Sharepoint and Exchange server protection to prevent malicious files from reaching network drives, inboxes, or endpoints. Easy management of endpoint security may be achieved through a management console that can be customised to your individual specifications from a single hub.
In addition to powerful data and server securing capabilities, Avast Business Antivirus Pro includes over 17 features for antivirus and malware protection. We’ve included a brief description for each, as some variant of them is common to high-end business antivirus software applications. Avast Software names them as:
- Antivirus – Malware protection for files, URLs, and email attachments.
- File Shield – Automatic scanning of files and documents as they’re opened.
- Web Shield – Checking of URLs and website certificates.
- Email Shield – Malware checks on incoming and outgoing messages.
- Behaviour Shield – Heuristic analysis of running processes, for virus or malware-like activity.
- CyberCapture – Copying and cloud analysis of unrecognised downloads.
- SmartScan – Single-click access to antivirus protection, software updates, network security, and performance scans.
- Wi-Fi Inspector – A wireless network scanning tool.
- Firewall – Rules-based access control for network boundaries.
- Sandbox – An isolated test space, for running untested or suspect files and processes.
- Real Site – An anti-phishing and anti-spoofing tool, for online protection.
- Anti-spam – Spam deletion and exclusion, for email accounts.
- Rescue Disk – An external drive formatted to scan a device before its operating system boots up.
- Sharepoint protection – Checking of all files uploaded to shared storage.
- Exchange protection – Scanning and filtering of emails for malicious attachments or dangerous links.
- Software Defender – Configures automatic updates for third-party software.
- Data Shredder – Secure deletion of unwanted files.
Avast Business Antivirus Pro offers several subscription plans for businesses, starting at £29.99 ($39.99) per user, per year. There’s a 30-day free trial offered on all plans, and a 30-day money-back guarantee on each purchase. You can download Avast Business Antivirus Pro from FileHippo, here.
2. AVG Antivirus Business Edition
With a 27-year history and a customer base of over 600,000 businesses, the AVG Antivirus Business Edition from AVG Technologies includes multi-language support and has an interface geared toward business users with little or no IT expertise. AVG has won over 25 awards in the past two years for a suite that’s optimised for 32-bit Windows operating systems (although 64-bit Windows Server operating systems are supported) and integrates with Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome web browsers.
Prices start at £26.99 ($35.99) for a one-year subscription and £40.79 ($54.39) for a two-year subscription, with a 30-day money back guarantee. There’s also a free trial available.
- Network Antivirus
- Identity Protection – With an emphasis on protecting identities from spyware and adware.
- File Server Security
- Smart Scanner
- File Shredder
- Data Safe – Encryption and storage of sensitive documents in a password-protected virtual disk.
- Linkscanner© Surf-Shield – Checks pages before they load in your web browser, and displays a safety rating.
- Ransomware Protection – With analysis combining static and behavioural tests, sandboxing, and other techniques.
- Remote Management – Single console installation, update, and configuring of AVG across all devices on your network.
- Free email and phone support
3. Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection
Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection from Webroot.com claims “multi-vector protection” as its unique selling point in guarding endpoint security. Threat protection is maintained in real time across email, browsers, files, URLs, ads, mobile apps, and other potential sources of vulnerability.
The Webroot Threat Intelligence Platform underlies the application suite, employing big data analytics, machine learning, and threat intelligence from a worldwide network of customers and technology partners. It’s a cloud-based architecture which classifies and scores 95% of the internet, three times each day.
Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection is able to predict malware behaviours instantly and accurately. Coupled with its intelligent cloud console, this enables the application to share malware information to continually improve its defences, and to protect all endpoints from existing and newly-discovered threats.
No on-premises hardware or software is required. Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection’s cloud-based console allows businesses to change security policies at global and individual levels, with finer-grained hierarchical controls for managing work-groups and business units. Needless to say, support is available for desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile device deployments.
Pricing is based on a consumption model, with licenses available for a one-, two-, or three-year subscription for your designated endpoints. Licenses start at five endpoints, at a cost of £97.00 ($129.33) for one year, while 249 endpoints cost £4,058.70 ($5,411.60) for a one-year subscription.
Key features of the Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection platform include:
- Multi-vector protection
- Deep learning intelligence
- Zero-hour security – Advanced heuristic analysis to identify and protect against never-before-seen threats.
- Fast deployment and scans
- No re-imaging – Recording and roll-back features enable infected files to be restored to their original state.
- Easy integration with other security software
- Online management
- Flexible billing
Over to You
If you’d like to know more about business antivirus software applications, check out our full list of packages that you can download from FileHippo, right now. And please head down to the comments section and tell us about your experiences with and preferences for business antivirus software applications.