How to keep one of the most successful gaming franchises alive and kicking? Ubisoft seems to have found the answer: releasing a new title every year.
The gaming company is planning to release three new Assassin’s Creed games and keep the trend going, by planning ahead and giving developers enough time to come up with fresh, appealing content.
CEO Yves Guillemot said in an interview with Kotaku that Ubisoft is determined not to see the Assassin’s Creed series collapse. He underlined that the company is trying to make sure that creative teams will have enough time, energy and power to create high-quality titles.
Guillemot also said Ubisoft currently has three new Assassin’s Creed titles in development, without mentioning their names. It’s safe to assume one of these three is Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, which is out later this year. The other two are likely to be the next installments in the franchise, due in 2014 and 2015.
More details about Black Flag, including a new gameplay trailer, were revealed at last week’s E3 2013 show. The game is an open-world exploration adventure set largely on the Caribbean islands. The central character is a pirate assassin. The trailer showcases the impressive open-world built by Ubisoft for this title, and mixes together adventure, exploration and action.
Also at the E3 2013, Ubisoft unveiled a brand new MMO called The Division, set in a dystopian future version of New York after terrorists unleashed a pandemic in the city. The game is based on the works of military fiction author Tom Clancy.
No details have been revealed about when the game’s release date, but what is for certain is that The Division will be a title for next-generation consoles.
Until we find out more, check out the new gameplay trailer for Assassins Creed: Black Flag. The latest Assassin’s Creed installment will be available on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U as of October 29. Release dates for next-gen consoles are to be announced.
[Image via Black Flag website]